Today I am going to start with a few trivia questions about one of the healthiest foods on the planet: the humble split pea!
Don’t panic. You don’t have to soak these little beauties. I sometimes get panic texts from friends who are rather afraid of legumes because they can’t remember which ones need to be soaked and for how long.
Well, to simplify things, you don’t have to soak any lentils or split peas at all. That’s why I feel like they are the ultimate fast food. Red lentils cook the fastest at about 20 minutes or so. But green split peas only take about an hour to simmer, and you hardly have to keep an eye on them. They are durable little suckers and don’t mind if you scorch the pan a little because you forgot to stir them for a while.
- Which of these foods is highest in fiber?
A) 1/4 C dried wheat bran
B) 1 C cooked quinoa
C) 1/2 C cooked split peas
D) 1 C cooked broccoli
2. How are split peas halved?
A) Using large rocks in a factory setting.
B) After harvesting and drying, they naturally split
C) Using a machine called the Splitohaffica, which was originally invented in 3,000 B.C. in ancient Mesopotamia.
D) They listened to the jokes told by the highly spirited red lentils next to them and said “you crack me up!”
3. What scientist studied the inheritance of seed color in peas, and found the green phenotype to be recessive to the yellow?
A) Marie Curie
B) Louis Pasteur
C) Stephen Hawking
D) Gregor Mendel
4. What is the only food on this list that has more protein than a cup of cooked split peas?
A) A cup of cooked lentils
B) A cup of cooked steel cut oats
C) Two poached eggs
D) Panera turkey sandwich
- Peter Gough February 12, 2019 at 7:54 pm · Reply1. A
4. AAll guesses.00Rate this
- Renata (Renee Gough)February 12, 2019 at 8:27 pm · ReplyHi Peter, and thank you for guessing! I wonder if anyone in your office wants to win a bite of your lunch tomorrow? (spoiler–Peter is my husband, but he does not have a cheat sheet!)00Rate this
- Amy LossieFebruary 12, 2019 at 8:47 pm · reply: CBDA
- Most are guesses, except for the one I know for sure…. leaving the rest of you guessing ?.
- Renata (Renee Gough)February 13, 2019, at 10:58 pm · ReplyYay Amy!! Hmmm. This is gonna be a fun group!
- Sophie February 15, 2019, at 8:15 pm · Reply: I think both Amy and I know the same answer ?.
- Sophie February 15, 2019, at 8:13 pm · Reply: C C D A
- Sophie February 15, 2019 at 8:13 pm · Reply: 1C 2C 3D
- Renata (Renee Gough)February 19, 2019, at 7:52 pm · ReplyAMY LOSSIE, YOU ARE THE WINNER! Congratulations on your Nutritional Knowledge!!! You answered all four questions correctly. Read more on today’s Trivia Tuesday!