Trivia Tuesday’s Bean Queen Questions:
- Which of these beans does not require soaking?
a) black beans
b) soy beans
c) chick peas
d) kidney beans
2. Which of these beans has the most protein at a whopping 17 grams per cooked cup?
a) red kidney beans
b) black beans
c) soy beans
d) chick peas
3. One cup of cooked black beans have more fiber than one cup of cooked oats.
4. Which of these foods has the fewest grams of fat?
a) 1/2 cup chick peas
b) 1/2 cup cooked black beans
c) 1/2 cup cooked skinless chicken breast
d) 1/2 cup cooked kidney beans
5. Which of these legumes require no soaking and simmer on the stove in just 25 minutes?
a) red lentils
b) fava beans
c) cannellini beans
d) great northern beans
Beans are so cheap! How many foods are this full of fiber, this full of protein, and this low in fat, which cost pennies per serving?
To get comfortable with soaking beans, pick a beautiful bowl and place it near your sink. At night, pull it down and dump a $1 bag of dried beans inside, fill it with water, and wake up to plump protein power, ready to be simmered in about an hour or two, depending on the bean (check label).
You can also pop those swollen babies in the slow cooker/crock pot while you are at work. Change the water, fill with another 2 inches over, and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
Beans are so high in protein and fiber, low in fat and cholesterol, and are a near perfect health food.
Ditch the cans a few times, and you will fall in love with the flavor of beans cooked from dried. The flavor difference is incredible. It’s so nice not to have to lug heavy cans of beans home and rinse them for recycling!
What’s your favorite bean recipe?
Beans have a soul.